Ask Lafeber

Question:

March 9, 2021

Conure Nutrition


Thank you so much for having this helpful Webinar. We want to be sure that we are doing everything right for our beloved Green Cheek Conure. We have purchased the Zoo Med Avian lamp for her. We want to be sure that she is absorbing vitamin D. Do you recommend the Zoo Med Avian Lamp and also how long and how far from our Conure (is 1 foot away correct, or should it be more)? Also, we bought the “Lafeber”s Avi-Era Bird Vitamins.” How often should we put the vitamins in her water? She eats lots of raw greens, pellet food and 1 Lafeber Nutriberry a day (an almond and a few sunflower seeds for training–but, only for training). Thank you so much.


Answer:

Hi Julia,

I know Dr. Tully discussed lighting during the webinar. As to the specific brand, I do think the ones that are made for birds are the better choice. I would go by the recommendations on the product. This should be a supplemental lighting source and not the main or only lighting for where your conure is.

If your little girl’s main diet is pellets, and her Nutri-Berry, then additional vitamins are not needed for day to day maintenance. The extra vitamins can help during heavy molts or if the bird is going through a lot of stress, or if you are traveling with her which can be stressful. As to the Nutri-Berries, these are formulated the same as a pellet, but they are not ground up. So she can have as many of these daily as she wants, as long as you make sure she is eating most of each berry without wasting too much. Nutri-Berries are also great for foraging exercise where you can put them in a toy or other object for her to find and extract. The raw greens are good for her, but as with anything, feed them in moderation. The pellets and Nutri-Berries should be 80% of her daily diet and additional foods combined should make up the other 20% – this would be her greens, and other fresh foods, treats, nuts and healthy table foods. It sounds like you are taking great care of her and making sure she has what she needs!

Thank you for asking Lafeber,

Brenda

Subscribe to our newsletter