- Before you start the hands-on portion of your examination, perform a visual exam. The visual examination should include information about the cage as well as the appearance and mentation of the animal.
- Obtaining the patient’s weight and temperature should be the first part of the physical examination.
- Auscult the heart and lungs using an infant or pediatric stethoscope.
- The primary deviation from the typical “head to tail” method of physical examination is the oral exam in rabbits and rodents. The oral examination can be very stressful for many small mammals and is generally performed last.
- One of the most effective ways to perform an oral examination on a small mammal is with an illuminated bivalve nasal speculum.
- Look for any dental abnormalities such as malocclusion, tooth overgrowth, fractured teeth, or points on the lingual or buccal surfaces of the premolars or molars.
Physical examination in exotic small mammals is performed similarly to examinations in dogs and cats, however many small mammals can easily become stressed. Approach these patients calmly, gently, and quietly. Gather all items that may be needed during the physical exam beforehand since it is essential to keep time to a minimum. Ideally schedule examination of nocturnal species such as sugar gliders, rats, and mice during the evening hours. It can also be helpful to dim the lights while examining these species . . .
Pour les vétérinaires. Par les vétérinaires.
Le site Lafervet.com est conçu pour une utilisation par les vétérinaires. Il est ouvert aux vétérinaires diplômés, aux techniciens vétérinaires diplômés, aux animaliers et aux étudiants dans ces domaines.
Créer un compte pour accéder à des articles et des ressources du site.
L'inscription est gratuite.
Para Profesionales Veterinarios. Por Profesionales Veterinarios.
El sitio Lafervet.com es para uso de los profesionales veterinarios. Está abierto a los veterinarios licenciados, técnicos veterinarios licenciados, rehabilitadores licenciados y estudiantes en estos campos.
Cree una cuenta para acceder a los artículos y recursos del sitio.
La registro es gratis.
Already a LafeberVet Member?
For Veterinarians. By Veterinarians.
The Lafebervet site is for use by veterinary professionals.
It is open to licensed veterinarians, licensed veterinary technicians, licensed rehabilitators and students in these fields.
Create an account for access to the site's articles and resources.
Registration is free-of-charge.
Not a member of LafeberVet?
Not Registered? Become a LafeberVet.com Member for Free.
The LafeberVet.com site is for use by veterinary professionals. It is open to licensed veterinarians, licensed veterinary technicians, licensed rehabilitators and students in these fields.
Create an account today for access to the site's articles and resources.