Exotic animal texts for the urgent care setting
In September 2017, LafeberVet sent out a brief poll soliciting recommended references for use in emergency and critical care settings. The results are listed below.
There were three clear winners for books recommended to colleagues for care of exotic animal patients:
- Carpenter JW (ed). Exotic Animal Formulary, 5th ed. Elsevier, 2017 (5th edition coming October 2017) (84.62%)
- Mader DR. Reptile Medicine and Surgery, 2nd ed. St. Louis: Saunders; 2013 (76.92%)
- Quesenberry KE, Carpenter JW (eds). Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery, 3rd ed. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Saunders; 2012 (61.54%)
Other exotic animal books were recommended for urgent care settings in a more moderate fashion:
- Mayer J, Donnelly TM. Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Birds and Exotic Pets. St. Louis: Saunders; 2012 (30.77%)
- Speer BL. Current Veterinary Therapy in Avian Medicine and Surgery. St. Louis: Elsevier; 2015 (30.77%)
- Jepson L. Exotic Animal Medicine: A Quick Reference Guide, 2nd ed. St. Louis: Elsevier; 2015 (23.08%)
- Mitchell MA, Tully TN. Manual of Exotic Pet Practice. St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier, 2009 (23.08%)
Additional poll results
- Altman RB, Clubb SL, Dorrestein GM, Quesenberry K. Avian Medicine and Surgery. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1997 (15.38%)
- O’Malley B. Clinical Anatomy and Physiology of Exotic Species. Edinburgh: Elsevier Saunders; 2005 (15.38%)
- Fordham M, Roberts B. Emergency and Critical Care, An Issue of Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice, Volume 19-2, 1st ed. Elsevier; 2016 (15.38%)
- Chitty J, Raftery A. Essentials of Tortoise Medicine and Surgery. Wiley-Blackwell; 2013 (7.69%)
Emergency and critical care texts
DiBartola SP. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Disorders in Small Animal Practice, Elsevier Saunders; St. Louis; 2011.
Gupta RC. Veterinary Toxicology: Basic and Clinical Principles. Academic Press; New York; 2007.
Macintire DK, Drobatz KJ, Haskins SC, Saxon WD (eds). Manual of Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care Medicine. Ames; Blackwell Publishing; 2006.
Mathews KA. Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Manual, 2nd edition. Lifelearn Publishers; 2006.
Silverstein DC, Hopper K (eds). Small Animal Critical Care Medicine, 2nd ed. St. Louis; Saunders Elsevier; 2014.
Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice. Emergency and critical care. 10(2), 2007.
Vincent JL, Abraham E, Kochanek P, et al. Textbook of Critical Care: Expert Consult Premium Edition. Elsevier Saunders; Philadelphia; 2011.
Critical Care Medicine, ISSN: 1530-0293. Publisher: Society of Critical Care Medicine.
Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, ISSN: 1476-4431. Publisher: Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society.