- Lizards lack tooth sockets or alveoli and their dentition is acrodont or pleurodont.
- Acrodont dentition is superficially attached to the biting edges of the mandible and maxilla.
- It is particularly important to take care when handling reptiles with acrodont dentition as the teeth will not be replaced.
- Chameleons and agamid lizards, such as bearded dragons and water dragons, possess acrodont dentition.
- Acrodont teeth are easily lost and are not replaced. Instead as teeth wear, the biting surface eventually becomes the bone itself.
- Pleurodont dentition is found in snakes and many lizard species, including iguanid lizards and monitors.
- With pleurodont dentition, a larger surface area of the tooth is in contact with the jawbone creating a stronger attachment.
- Pleurodont dentition is regularly replaced throughout life.
- Periodontal disease is particularly common in agamid lizards and chameleons. Owners often do not recognize any dental problems until disease is quite advanced.
Reptile dentition tends to be relatively uniform with a simple, conical shape. Most reptile teeth are loosely attached with the dental attachment most superficial in acrodontic species. Tooth loss and replacement is a normal occurrence in reptile species with pleurodont dentition, which includes snakes, and many lizards. Take special care when handling reptiles with acrodont dentition as teeth will not be replaced when infected or fractured. Additionally, periodontal disease is common in captive lizards with acrodont dentition such as bearded dragons and chameleons. Periodontal disease is an insidious condition. As plaque formation builds and gingivitis worsens, many reptiles will continue . . .
Pour les vétérinaires. Par les vétérinaires.
Le site Lafervet.com est conçu pour une utilisation par les vétérinaires. Il est ouvert aux vétérinaires diplômés, aux techniciens vétérinaires diplômés, aux animaliers et aux étudiants dans ces domaines.
Créer un compte pour accéder à des articles et des ressources du site.
L'inscription est gratuite.
Para Profesionales Veterinarios. Por Profesionales Veterinarios.
El sitio Lafervet.com es para uso de los profesionales veterinarios. Está abierto a los veterinarios licenciados, técnicos veterinarios licenciados, rehabilitadores licenciados y estudiantes en estos campos.
Cree una cuenta para acceder a los artículos y recursos del sitio.
La registro es gratis.
Already a LafeberVet Member?
For Veterinarians. By Veterinarians.
The Lafebervet site is for use by veterinary professionals.
It is open to licensed veterinarians, licensed veterinary technicians, licensed rehabilitators and students in these fields.
Create an account for access to the site's articles and resources.
Registration is free-of-charge.
Not a member of LafeberVet?
Not Registered? Become a LafeberVet.com Member for Free.
The LafeberVet.com site is for use by veterinary professionals. It is open to licensed veterinarians, licensed veterinary technicians, licensed rehabilitators and students in these fields.
Create an account today for access to the site's articles and resources.